Monday, April 12, 2010

Ah History....

So, I just love vintage clothes and historical pieces! I am taking a historical reproduction class right now and am so excited to to make this piece! Its a Victorian bodice reproduction, and there are so many styles I want to make! If you are looking for a good reproduction patterns go to trulyvictorian.com. They have great stuff that is really authentic! Here are a couple of bodices I'm trying to decide between:


























I really want to do the coat, but I'm not sure what I want to do! I think I'm leaning toward the "Dinner Jacket" (deep neckline, kind of long tail on the bottom row in the left). I like the neckline and could really make it nice with some beautiful trims. Finally! A project that isn't a stupid size 8! I can actually wear this!!!

I also love this era because I love corsets! I don't mind my hips being so big when I put one on because it is a really curvy hourglass shape. Super sexy! There are a lot of misnomers about corsets, too. They can become bad for your body if abused or used or made incorrectly. They can help shape your waist (I'm not saying make you look like a circus freak but, help shape that hourglass a little), and help after giving birth to help your stomach muscles return to where they are supposed to be, among other things. You ahve to use them correctly to avoid injury though. A good resource for all corset questions would be Farthingales in Santa Monica. The owner/operator Linda Sparks is super knowledgeable (in fact, she is the corset expert in North America!) and has been in the corset business forever! Look for her book and go visit the shop. They have ready made pieces and can do custom work, or help you find supplies to make your own!

This is Cathy. She holds the record for the smallest waist, currently, with a 15" waist. That is the same size as a CD. The smallest recorded was Ethel Granger at 13" pictured at right.
















1 comment:

  1. I saw a show on tv once about Cathy.. sooooo creepy! It showed her getting laced in and showed her without it on too and her body is pretty much stuck like that. OUCH! Hahaha

    I'm with you on the dinner jacket. So pretty! I can't wait to take that class.

    ReplyDelete